A feeling of fullness, nausea, belching and flatulence, and in some cases; a burning sensation in the upper abdomen and a piercing abdominal pain – you recognize the symptoms, don’t you? Almost everyone must have faced a bout of indigestion at some point in time; and although not a serious problem, this can make one feel terribly uncomfortable and ill at ease.
A severe bout of indigestion can also cause the stomach acids to flow up to the mouth, thus imparting a bitter, acidic taste. Indigestion rather than being an illness in itself is more of a symptom of an underlying health problem like stomach ulcers, GERD or Gastrointestinal Re-flux Disease, Gallbladder problems and so on.
Indigestion can also be caused due to other reasons like high stress, erratic eating and sleeping habits, and living an ill-suited lifestyle. Certain medication that is consumed can also give rise to indigestion as a side effect.
Listed below are a host of simple and quick home remedies for indigestion that can be used to alleviate and cure indigestion.
Indigestion Home Remedies
1. Lemon and Ginger:
- One of the easiest remedies to prepare, it is also one of the tastiest remedies on our list!
- Mix two spoons of lemon juice and ginger juice in a glass of warm water.
- Ginger juice can be extracted by finely grating the ginger and squeezing the juice from it.
- You can also add a small spoon of honey to this mixture and consume it before or after a heavy meal.
2. Fennel Seeds:
- This is one power-packed remedy for indigestion and is especially useful when the malaise is caused due to spicy or rich food.
- Fennel seeds contain compounds that not only help alleviate the feeling of nausea but also reduce flatulence.
- Fennel seeds can be chewed raw. You can also dry roast the seeds and grind them to a fine powder.
- This powder can be added to a glass of water and consumed twice a day.
- A concoction of crushed fennel seeds in hot water can be sipped for effective relief as well.
- A small glass of pineapple juice after a meal is another best home remedy for indigestion.
- The enzyme Bromelain present in pineapple regulates the acid levels in the stomach, giving a soothing effect.
4. Chamomile Tea:
- Sipping on a hot cup of chamomile tea relaxes the stomach muscles and helps one get rid of the bloated and stuffy feeling caused by indigestion.
- Chamomile also soothes nausea which commonly occurs with this condition.
- Cumin has been known far and wide for its healthy digestive properties.
- One can add a teaspoon of roasted cumin that has been finely powdered to a glass of water and consume it.
- One can also make a concoction by adding a heap of cumin seeds to hot water and allowing it to boil.
- Strain the liquid and drink it warm for quick relief from indigestion, as well as other digestive ailments.
- Lemon is an excellent remedy for reducing nausea and the bloated feeling that comes with indigestion.
- Mix a teaspoon of lemon juice with a bit of mint juice and honey and consume.
- Carrots contain various enzymes that stimulate the production of saliva and other digestive juices, thereby boosting the process of digestion.
- Carrots can either be chewed or taken in the form of juice.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Popularly known as ACV, Apple Cider Vinegar has been used as a remedy to battle a variety of illnesses, including indigestion. ACV promotes digestion and has a calming effect on the digestive system. You can mix Apple Cider Vinegar with water and drink this couple of times a day. ACV can also be mixed with a teaspoon of honey in a glass of water and sipped twice or three times a day for relief from indigestion.